Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Crochet Submarine Pattern

I have been on a crochet kick lately. Baby hats, mittens, booties... I am on a roll! I even found a few really cute Amigurumi websites, but I never really fancied myself good enough to make anything like them-until now! I found a pattern for a submarine, and decided what could be more appropriate for our little Submariner's daughter than a PINK sub, just like Daddy's? But in the nature of all things I make, I made quite a few changes to the pattern. The original pattern can be found here, but I included my pattern after the jump (my changes are in bold).
Pink submarine!



SUPPLIES:
1 skein yarn. I used Lily Sugar n' Cream in Strawberry.
Crochet Hook. I use size G to make the stitches tight enough so the stuffing doesn't show.
Scissors
Stuffing-I used poly fiber fil. It's cheap and easy, and works great for toys!

HULL AND PROPELLER:
Start with a magic ring. Ch1, 6 sc in ring.
2 sc in ea st around. (12)
(2 sc in next st, sc in next st)around. (18)
(2 sc in next st, sc in next 2 sts)around. (24)
(2 sc in next st, sc in next 3 sts)around. (30)
Sc in ea st around for 11 rounds.
(Dec1, sc in next 3 sts)around. (24)
Sc in ea st around.
(Dec1, sc in next 2 sts)around. (18)
Sc in ea st around.
(Dec1, sc in next st)around. (12)
Place stuffing now; add a little extra to make sure the aft section of the sub shapes correctly.
Dec until 4 sts remain.
Sc in each st around; ch1
In the first sc: *dc, ch4, ch4, ch4, dc; Sc across the top stitches (4 total); join with a slip stitch to the first sc stitch. Repeat 2 times from *, for a total of 3 propeller blades.
Fasten off, pull excess thread into body of submarine.

CONNING TOWER BASE:
Start with a magic ring. Ch1, 6 sc in ring.
(2 sc in next st, sc in ea of next 2 sts)twice. (8)
(2sc in ea of next 2 sts, sc in ea of next 2 sts) three times. (12)
Sc in BLO of ea st around.
Sc in ea st around. Sl st in next st.
Fasten off, leaving a tail for sewing.


PERISCOPE:
Start with magic ring. Ch1, 4 sc in ring.
Sc in each st (4) for 7 rounds.
Stitch 4 sc back in to previous rows, creating a right angle for the tower.
Sc in each stitch of the new round for 6 rounds.
Dec1 twice (2 stitches).
Fasten off, leaving a tail for sewing.

Attach periscope to conning tower securely. I began by pulling the tail from the periscope through the center of the magic ring. This gave me the ability to pull the periscope tower tight enough so it would stand without having to stuff it or run a wire through it; a BIG plus when you consider it's going to be a baby toy.

Attach the conning tower/periscope to the submarine hull. I pulled the thread from the periscope down into the body of the submarine and fastened it off, again to keep the periscope standing. Droopy periscopes are just 'un-sat' according to my husband.

I didn't add the windows or large propeller blades, because I wanted less things that could potentially come off and be a choking hazard. Here a couple photos of the finished product:

Top view


I loved making these! I am definitely going to be making some more. Stay tuned for more crochet adventures, and happy crafting!

~Meara

2 comments:

  1. I SO LOVE this Meara!!! It's so cute! If only I knew how to crochet! Adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband is a submariner as well and this was absolutely perfect! :) I had some problems with the propellers but I think my end result turned out nicely for a first try. Thank you so much for this pattern! :)

    ReplyDelete