Sunday, February 13, 2011

Birthdays!!!

This post will be all about one of my favorite things... BIRTHDAYS! In honor of our niece Laura's 6th birthday, which is on Valentine's Day, I am posting pictures of her present and the card I made her. It was quite a crafty week for me, considering I had a whole mess of school work to attend to...



Gift: I puzzled over what to get Laura for awhile. Her dad is in the Air Force, so I knew it couldn't be anything big or bulky, and definitely needed to be something she would use and that wouldn't just take up space. Then it came to me; what do little girls LOVE?? Clothes! And especially clothes made just for them. In the interest of time, I chose to personalize something over making it from scratch, and I wound up with a cute athletic hoodie that I could add to, and a whole mess of fabric remnants from other projects.



Oh, how I do love to reuse :)

After I laid out my fabrics and brainstormed I came up with a plan. I love to mix fabrics and textures, and since I had a couple of different shades of red and pink, I settled on doing hearts. It also fits with the V-Day theme. After adding some Heat n' Bond to each heart, I pinned them on.



Heat n' Bond is so easy to use, and it makes anything into an iron on! For extra insurance, and for a cute look, I hand-stitched the edges of each heart patch after ironing. I also embroidered an L on the patch pocket in front, because who doesn't love monograms?



Card: Since I bought my Cricut cutter, I have been dying to take it for a real spin. And now, I finally had my excuse! I made up a quick little birthday card and matching envelope for about 50 cents total cost. I didn't take pictures as I went, but it's pretty simple to see how I laid it all out. I just layered on the paper for a fun 3D effect.



And the inside...



I know I needed this craft time, and it feels great to make things for other people that were made with love! I hope to be posting again soon... Another blog, sewlikemymom.com, had a great tutorial on making your own cosmetic bag, and I have some leftover fabric that I have been dying to do something fun with.

Happy Crafting!
~Meara

No comments:

Post a Comment