Monday, January 3, 2011

Baby Crafts

I know it's been quite a while since I have posted, but it has been awfully busy around here! Senior year of nursing school has been crazy, and I know it's only going to get more so. But that does NOT mean I won't have time to keep my crafts up! So, here's a couple of things I have been working on:



Bibs for some of the babies of the ladies in my boat's FRG. They are reversible, so even if one side gets messy or stains, then you can still use the other side for quick clean-up.


And onesies to go along with the bibs!

Directions after the jump... Just click read more!




Supply list:

Onesies
1 package of plain white onesies (I bought mine with a coupon at Joann Fabrics, so they are specifically for crafting and designs. I think some of the basic ones from another store would work too.)
Puff paints-various colors
1 pack of buttons

I sketched the words on first with a pencil, and then placed and sewed on the buttons. I used some cardboard I cut from an old popcorn box to make sure the puff paints didn't bleed through to the back, and then I went to work. Make sure to wash these little lovelies inside out to get the extra pencil marks off, and then inside out every time to preserve the puffy paint.

Bibs:
2 remnant fabric pieces-they need to be at least 1/4 yard each so you have room to cut out a bib; I chose a terry cloth (the dark pink) and a snuggle flannel (the white)
1 package bias tape-if you pick the double bias, you have to take it and iron it out so you have a thick enough edge to work with

I cut the bibs out from a self-made pattern. It would be really easy to use another bib as a pattern too. Just trace around the large bottom part of the bib onto a sheet of paper, and then cut it out for an easy DIY pattern. Cut 1 each of the bib patterns from the remnants, and place them wrong sides together. I stay-stitched the two pieces of fabric together before sewing on the bias tape, and finishing the ends by stitching them closed.

I wanted to have these done before Christmas, but an unfortunate transport error made my sewing machine footless for awhile. But after many adventures in downtown New London (GPS and I do NOT get along haha), I finally found the Joann fabrics and got a new foot, plus some great new fabric for future crafts. I have another post to share today, so keep an eye out.

Happy crafting!
~Meara

2 comments:

  1. I am definitely going to make one of those onsies!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay!!! They were just something that popped into my head! When you make it, send me a pic! :)

    ReplyDelete